2008-10-20

Web fonts

My recent efforts for supporting custom fonts for PDF documents greatly increased my attention to all font-related stuff. Here is an article from Ars Technica about the revival of Web fonts, with CSS linking to downloadable fonts. While several formats are competing, there is a clear trend here. I don't anything more to do for Novelang than serving a static file. Or am I missing something? Anyways, deploying fonts on the Web will be a huge fest of copyright issues. Downloadable PDFs with embedded fonts may raise the same issues but it's a marginal case for now. Sidenote: I had a look at the demo page in Ars article. Camino 1.6.4 displays replacement fonts but Safari 3.1.2 does its job. In addition, Safari's Web Inspector displays the font list with a nice preview.

No comments: